On 28.10.23 14:09, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:

On 10/28/23 04:52, Neil C Smith wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2023, 12:29 Neil C Smith, <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2023, 11:59 Laszlo Kishalmi,
    <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:

        It would be good if somebody could test the Mouse Button
        layouts on
        Windows and Mac, probably can remove the MOUSE_BUTTON4 and
        MOUSE_BUTTON5
        registration...

    They weren't added by accident! ;-)

    I have all 3 OS to hand, and tested this on all 3. As far as I
    could tell, buttons 4 & 5 are required for Mac and Windows. Linux
    is the odd one out here, unfortunately.

    Personally, my Wayland laptop trackpad doesn't show this issue.
    We don't have an option to have disabled mappings. If the reports
    are more than a one off issue, then the only option is really to
    remove all the default mouse button mappings for NB20 and let
    people configure them if they want. But it's not very
    discoverable, and leaves the original feature request still
    unfulfilled.

PS. Also, if you look at this comment you'll notice that Michael and I had a conversation on the PR about xev values and the JDK numbers being two lower because of scroll wheel events https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/6434#issuecomment-1715252021

If we are 100% sure that 4&5 (native 6&7) map to horizontal scroll, we could drop the value down another two in the event handler to bring all OS in line?
That what I am thinking about! I think that would be safe to do, or introduce a  MOUSE_WHEEL_LEFT and MOUSE_WHEEL_RIGHT for those buttons and map the rest with two down on Linux.

can confirm that mouse wheel left/right is button 4/5 on my mouse on linux (swing event numbers, which are not the button numbers i see via piper or xev)

back/forward is 6/7

(Thumb button would be 8 and a second set of forward/back is 9/10 but most mice with a lot of buttons will probably map those by default to a hardware or system function, e.g mouse resolution switch or volume control etc - thats when the "standardization" ends most likely)

have nothing to swipe unfortunately so I can't help there :)

-mbien

Best wishes,

Neil