When the AI hype train was just getting rolling last year I thought I would try this out to write a basic but non-trivial algorithm. I wanted to implement a method to get the nodes and weights for Gauss-Laguerre quadrature integration for the Gamma function for any number of nodes, rather than just using a hard-coded series of arrays for the numbers. I didn't need to do this (the hard-coded array approach works) but I thought this was an interesting test because it's not an everyday garden topic that the AI will just be able to cut and paste from Stack Overflow. On the other hand it does have a known solution so it can be shown whether the AI solution is any good or not.

The AI was able to generate a plausible looking solution very quickly and confidently. Which was, at first glance, impressive. Wow. It compiled first time and ran. Syntactically it was great. And that is where the positives end. The code wasn't just wrong in terms of being close, but inaccurate. It was just gibberish. The results weren't even vaguely in the ballpark. People talk about AI being able to pass university exam level questions... what a load of rubbish. This was clearly plagarised so badly that the 'student' submitting the answer was clueless that their answer was even wrong.

The AI had no idea -- and why would it. It is nothing more than a large neural net that has produced a sequence of tokens based on another input sequence of tokens. At its heart it is nothing more than a sophisticated regression algorithm based on a series of data points which were used to train it. What we are doing is the equivalent of deriving a line of best fit through a cloud of data points and then asking the algorithm to extrapolate based on that regression equation. It works -- of course it does, it's just an equation -- but fundamentally it is grossly misleading. Any decently educated person knows that extrapolation is fraught with error. And that is all AI is (with the techniques used today). A sophisticated extrapolation engine. Anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

Andreas is, in my view, completely right. If you rely on AI for coding you will spend more time correcting the code than you would writing it yourself. More than that, the code appears very neat, so the errors are not obvious at first. Writing the code yourself will also bring you closer to it, and that familiarity will breed insight that AI never had to start with and certainly cannot impart to its users. Why would you want to give up that side benefit from writing your own code?

AI is, in my view, one of the more dangerous fads to come out recently. Not necessarily because of the harm it might do itself, but because it drives a false sense of security amongst those that do not understand it -- which is to say most of the world, as there are very few people I've met who are able to explain to me how it works, even on a basic level. Perversely this could lead to a loss of knowledge and intelligence amongst the non-machine population.

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm just a modern-day Luddite. I'd be interested to know if there are any genuine real-world cases where AI code is useful. I was thinking that maybe boilerplate code, like when writing GUI etc. but NetBeans Matisse already has that covered just fine. How would AI improve this? It wouldn't have a chance improving on many of the algorithms I write for solving engineering problems for the simple reason that many of those algorithms never existed before I wrote them and I'm proud to admit that I had to fall back on real intelligence, and not artificial intelligence, to write them :-)

Anyway, an interesting topic!

Peter