Good Morning Owen and All,

On Sun, 2024-02-11 at 09:50 +1100, Owen Thomas wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 13:46, Andreas Reichel
> <andr...@manticore-projects.com> wrote:
> > Smart people will become smarter and faster using it. Others won't.
> >

> What do you mean when you say this?

What I meant was: it amplifies experience and skills. If you are
experienced it will make you faster because you know when to trust and
use it. If you are inexperienced it will harm you because it can
pretend providing "solutions", which actually may be harmful or wrong.

> I think I would surely benefit from some assistance too, but I am
> afraid that an AI algorithm may suggest what it found in my code to a
> wider developer community, thus leaking my own work to a wider world
> out of my control.

That is a different and very valid and interesting angle to look at it:
what guarantees are there when its integrated into your UI, which opens
ALL your code? None and nothing! They just will say "sorry" when
eventually caught and that's it.
I would say, when you believed in proprietary code then IDE AI
integration was not for you even when it worked.

Although the same concern applies to GitHub already. So unless you host
by yourself strictly (as we do, except for what we publish as
OpenSource) this concern should not be new.

Cheers
Andreas