My 2p.
If the kaka.key value (very simple json), you could use UpdateAttribute and use
some expression language - specifically the string manipulation functions to
extract the part you want.
I like the power or ExecuteProcessor by the way.

And I agree, this community is phenomenally responsive and helpful.

Regards
Conrad

On 21/03/2016, 18:38, "McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU - STaTS/StorefrontRemote)"
<chris.mcderm...@hpe.com> wrote:

>Thanks everyone.  While I’m naturally disappointed that this doesn’t exist, I
>am hyper charged about the responsiveness and enthusiasm of the NiFi community!
>
>From: Matt Burgess <mattyb...@gmail.com<mailto:mattyb...@gmail.com>>
>Date: Monday, March 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM
>To: "users@nifi.apache.org<mailto:users@nifi.apache.org>"
><users@nifi.apache.org<mailto:users@nifi.apache.org>>
>Subject: Re: Help on creating that flow that requires processing attributes in
>a flow content but need to preserve the original flow content
>
>One way (in NiFi 0.5.0+) is to use the ExecuteScript processor, which gives
>you full control over the session and flowfile(s).  For example if you had
>JSON in your "kafka.key" attribute such as "{"data": {"myKey": "myValue"}}" ,
>you could use the following Groovy script to parse out the value of the
>'data.myKey' field:
>
>def flowfile = session.get()
>if(!flowfile) return
>def json = new
>groovy.json.JsonSlurper().parseText(flowfile.getAttribute('kafka.key'))
>flowfile = session.putAttribute(flowfile, 'myKey', json.data.myKey)
>session.transfer(flowfile, REL_SUCCESS)
>

>I put an example of this up as a Gist
>(https://gist.github.com/mattyb149/478864017ec70d76f74f)
>
>A possible improvement could be to add a "jsonPath" function to Expression
>Language, which could take any value (including an attribute) along with a
>JSONPath expression to evaluate against it...
>
>Regards,
>Matt
>
>On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM, McDermott, Chris Kevin (MSDU -
>STaTS/StorefrontRemote)
><chris.mcderm...@hpe.com<mailto:chris.mcderm...@hpe.com>> wrote:
>Joe,
>
>Thanks for the reply.  I think I was not clear.
>
>The JSON I need to evaluate is in a FlowFile attribute (kafka.key) which I
>need to be able to evaluate without modifying the original FlowFile content
>(which was read from the Kafka topic).  What I can’t figure out is how to
>squirrel away the flowfile content so that I can write the value of the
>kafka.key attribute to the FlowFile content, so that I can process it with
>EvaluateJsonPath, and then read content I squirreled away back into the
>FlowFile content. I considered using the the DistributedMapCache, but there
>would be no guarantee what I added to the cache would still be there when I
>needed it back.
>

>On 3/21/16, 1:37 PM, "Joe Witt"
><joe.w...@gmail.com<mailto:joe.w...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>>Chris,
>>
>>Sounds like you have the right flow in mind already.  EvaluateJSONPath
>>does not write content.  It merely evaluates the given jsonpath
>>expression against the content of the flowfile and if appropriate
>>creates a flowfile attribute of what it finds.
>>
>>For example if you have JSON from Twitter you can use EvaluateJsonPath
>>and add a property with a name
> [...]

SecureData, combating cyber threats
The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be
privileged and confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other dissemination or use of this communications is strictly
prohibited. The views expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily of SecureData Europe Ltd. Any prices quoted are only valid if
followed up by a formal written quote.

SecureData Europe Limited. Registered in England & Wales 04365896. Registered
Address: SecureData House, Hermitage Court, Hermitage Lane, Maidstone, Kent,
ME16 9NT