Thanks, Andrew!

(From [1]:) "/This means that the service will be available to all Processors and Controller Services defined in that Process Group _and below_./"

In my experience, this isn't true. If I create a controller _via the General menu_ in the very root of my NiFi canvas, configure its name in Settings, calling it Jack, then I create a new process group, then configure a new processor in that group, when I try to configure to use the controller, Jack is not among the options.

In order for the statement above to be true, I have to create it _via the gear icon_ in the Operate menu/palette.

Is this not what you see?

So, beginning sometime in 1.x, the Controller Settings option in the General menu became useless, even at the top level except for "all ReportingTasks and services defined in the Controller Settings." But, when would any reporting task or other service defined be able to benefit? Never if I'm any judge.

I think this is much more than a mere documentation issue. I wonder if removing the Controller Services... option from the General menu would not be the most important thing to do (even before documenting the gear icon in the Operate menu).

Russ