Dave,

You can't override the initialize() method as it is final, but note
that it calls the init() method at the bottom, that's the method you
can override, its signature is:

protected void init(final ControllerServiceInitializationContext
config) throws InitializationException

so instead of "def init()" you can use "void init(final
ControllerServiceInitializationContext config) throws
InitializationException" instead, then the signatures should match
exactly.