There is no requirement to use the registry.  It simply gives you a way to
store versioned flows which you can reference/use from zero or more nifi
clusters/flows to help keep things in line.  Many teams use this to ensure
as flows are improved over time and worked through dev/test/stage/prod
environments that they graduate properly.

Thanks