Thank you Mark - it looks like attributes is to blame.  I'm adding lots of UpdateAttribute to delete them as soon as they are not needed and disk IO has dropped. Right now, it's all going to 'spinning rust' - soon to all new SSDs, but either way, this needed addressing.

One oddity, is when I do ExtractText to a property (call it value) of (.*), I'll see value, and value.0, value.1 in the attributes list.  Not sure why it makes multiple copies.

-Joe