Very interesting discussion and responses here! Anthony motivates me to
jump on the bandwagon of using JMS/message-driven-beans, and at the same
time, Romain tells me, not much need (for local) in a Java EE 6
application. :)

Either way, i have not ruled out JMS. I have done some strategic coding on
my part to avoid @Schedule or use of timer service...using Date class to
postpone pushing data to google calendar, and only pushing when there is a
new date to update...application-wide. At first, i was pushing data to
google calendar after 'every' update request... sending over 1,000 requests
to google calendar sometimes or daily (adding and deleting events on google
calendar to keep google calendar in sync with the database), but I cut that
back (or decreased the # of requests) with the new code I developed 2+
months ago. just makes for a faster user experience since they requested to
have data updated via ajax on change/selection of this field, and that
field.

Right now, JMS would be similar to a nice science project for me... just to
see if I can do it and the success of it.