Kevin,

Thanks for the response.

We weren't experiencing deadlocks either, just a significant number of
threads waiting on a lock for a fairly long time.

Yes we are on WebLogic, and although it comes with a version of JPA we are
not using the WebLogic packaged version, but instead OpenJPA 1.2.1

I may try and get another thread dump, I believe this problem was much
reduced by upgrading the JDK (due to this issue:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6461827)

  Simon