Hi Chris,
Good to know your plans.  Thanks.

You can get almost all of the JDBC connection access via the JDBC channel
in our logging framework [1].  Unfortunately, I looked at the code and the
constructors don't seem to have a log entry...  :-(  But, you do get all of
the closes, commits, rollbacks, etc -- all of the normal operations through
a Connection object.  So, I'd start with that.

Updating the Ctor for additional logging would be very easy to do.  I would
probably do it in the LoggingConnectionDecorator, like you thought.  If you
have issues with building a version of OpenJPA for your testing, ping me
back with the version of OpenJPA that you are using and maybe I can find
time to do a quick update.  But, try the JDBC log channel first and see if
that gives you enough information for your specific scenario.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]
http://people.apache.org/~mikedd/nightly.builds/apache-openjpa-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT/docs/docbook/manual.html#ref_guide_logging_channels