Kevin,

I finally got past the issue of running out of connections - I simply
configured connections pooling via DBCP and the problem went away.  I
still consider this a "work-around" because if I have a single
process/thread persisting entities, I would expect each step of the
way to complete in a synchronous fashion and be able to use just one
connection to do that.

Before I tried configuring connection pooling, I was trying to isolate
the code in OpenJPA that was using up all the connections and it
appears to be occurring in the OpenJPA sequence generator code, in or
about:

org.apache.openjpa.kernel.StateManagerImpl.assignObjectId()
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.JDBCStoreManager.assignObjectId()
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.AbstractJDBCSeq.next()
org.apache.openjpa.kernel.NativeJDBCSeq.nextInternal()

My entity's annotations that invoke this are:

        @Id
        @SequenceGenerator(name="MARKET_DATA_MARKETDATAID_GENERATOR",
sequenceName="MARKET_DATA_ID_SEQ")
        @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.SEQUENCE,
generator="MARKET_DATA_MARKETDATAID_GENERATOR")
        @Column(name="MARKET_DATA_ID", unique=true, nullable=false,
precision=19)
        public long getMarketDataId() {
                return this.marketDataId;
        }

For now, I will just hope connection pooling will be sufficient to
solve this issue, but I am wondering if your unit tests are running
with pooling or not?  If they are, you may be missing a problem.

Thanks,

Chris