Actually, to simplify this question a bit, can someone please just explain
how the setting for mapExtents on a Layer, as opposed to setting mapExtents
on the Map differ?

I'm particularly interested in whether they each limit the tiles requested
from the servers.  My situation is that I have a large extent I want visible
on the map, but have multiple different layers that each provide tiles for
smaller parts of the map extent, so I want them to only request tiles from
the appropriate areas.