Hi,

srweal wrote:
> Actually, to simplify this question a bit, can someone please just explain
> how the setting for mapExtents on a Layer, as opposed to setting mapExtents
> on the Map differ?

The maxExtent of the active base layer takes precedence over the
maxExtent of the map. For overlays, maxExtent is only used to determine
if the layer is to be displayed or not, i.e. if it would be visible in
the current viewport.

> I'm particularly interested in whether they each limit the tiles requested
> from the servers.  My situation is that I have a large extent I want visible
> on the map, but have multiple different layers that each provide tiles for
> smaller parts of the map extent, so I want them to only request tiles from
> the appropriate areas.

In that case you would set a large maxExtent of the map (or base layer),
and small maxExtents for your other layers.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar