Thanks Andreas and Eric for your responses.  But I still have one remaining
question.

If I set maxExtents on a WMS overlay layer and it is smaller than the
maxExtents of my map, will tiles be requested from the WMS (or TileCache)
for areas that are outside the bounds specified for the WMS layer, but still
within the viewport that is showing the larger extent of the map?

Steve