Anthony,

Take a look at the minScale/maxScale and/or minResolution/maxResolution
properties of the Layer object. This might be enough to accomplish what
you're looking for. See also [1] for an example of use (isn't really
used in the example, but looking at the code source will show how to
define them).

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Dubé