On 29 Nov 2013, at 13:40, Maurice Howe <maur...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>> How do I convert a PDF to ODT (or DOC) so that I can edit it?

There seem to be [at least] two types of PDF files.

One are essentially scanned images.

The others are formatted text files that can be converted to .doc or .txt by
either Adobe [full pop; not the free adobe reader] or a number of websites that
do free file conversions.  If you can copy and paste from the PDF, you are most
ways there on your own.

There are web sites that purport to convert scanned images to text files, but
they seem to be finicky on the scanned image; I've not had good luck with these.

hth - jt