On 03/19/2014 01:27 PM, Bernie H wrote:
It seems Apache OpenOffice has "deposited" this search engine on my
computer, along with Mysearchdial. I don't want or need either one of these
annoyances. Please advise how I can kill them both, as I've tried to delete
Mysearchdial from Internet Options (where it highjacked my home page!), but
can't find either program listed so I can uninstall them. Thanks.

You must be running  Windows. Altho Conduit says it's not a virus,
it really is, and it's a bitch to get rid of. Your best bet is to Google it.
In your browser, if it's Firefox, *after* you delete it from every
other place you can find, then reset Firefox. (You will lose any
special setting you have.) Don't forget to follow the removal
instructions about the registry--you have to get it off there too.
The instructions I found did *not* clean the Microsoft Browser
(the "e" browser). Since I never use that, i didn't care. I also do
not use Windows very often, for those reasons and others.

You might consider installing a Linux distro on a partition on
your machine. Then you won't see things like Conduit and
other crap like it (and worse)!  OpenOffice and LibreOffice
are both available on a Linux system. You may find you want
to use the kde desktop, since it works and looks a lot like
Windows. PCLinuxOS uses KDE normally, as does Kubuntu--
note the K--and Fedora, and a few others. I like PCLinuxOS
(PCLOS) myself. All of these are available in 32- or 64-bit
versions.  A great many programs you use in Windows have
counterparts in Linux, and they're almost all completely
free!  Only two programs that i use--AutoCAD and WordPerfect
--are not available, and if you are comfortable with OO
you probably won't be using WordPerfect. (There are also
cad programs, but they are not AutoCAD clones.) If you
are into games, a great many of them will run under an
emulator called WINE.

All Linux distros that I know of have a forum or a mailing list, or both,
so if you need help, it's available. The folks on the PCLOS forum are
very helpful, and the turnaround is quite fast--from a couple of
hours to maybe a day.

--doug