Suggestion for getting a download without the "so-called installers" - if you find the program, read the information on the site (such as CNET) to find the domain originating the program. For instance, Open Office information on CNET mentions the OO web site (openoffice.org) several times.

Another suggestion - use search engine such as Google (usually is selective on results returned) / Dogpile (shows results from several search engines thus greater chance of finding what you are searching). Be sure to check the suggested domain name to ensure you find the "home" site for the program being searched.

Once you find the home site.

Per comment before, I have used CNET for about 15 years and did not have to download one of the "so-called installers" . . .