On 05/23/2014 08:43 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
On 2014-05-23, 3:43 PM japples wrote:

/snip/

There is a huge difference between showing non-printing characters and showing formatting codes. Saying AOO shows non-printing characters is similar to WP reveal codes is ridiculous.

Now tell me again how there are no similarities (include examples other than ones I have given above). The OO's limited source has been the topic for requesting to expand. The ability to edit is there just not in a separate window as WP. I don't know if OO has the ability to edit a text box but someone with more time and energy could respond.

Using reveal non-printing charters in AOO does not show any formatting codes. The purpose of WP reveal codes is to change the documents formatting (font size and type, bold, italic, underline, superscript, etc). There is no similarity to AOO.

I must respectfully disagree. All of the formatting in WP is modifiable from the menus at the top of the page, and simple format changes, like bold, italic, underline are available from the keyboard in the same fashion that is found in virtually all modern word processors or text writers. Font and font size are also modifiable from the heading structure. (What are those top lines, which occur in just about all GUI programs, including Firefox and Thunderbird, called, anyway?) Real format tricks,
like small caps can be found in the pull-down menus.

I have found the Reveal Codes feature to be most useful in finding oddball things that may have come in with an imported file, and to debug minor mishaps that are not obvious from just looking at the text. One use of Reveal Codes will tell you whether a tab or a set of spaces is used in a text. Also, to spot double spaces, if you don't just do a find/replace to get rid of them. I think this kind of use could be done in OO or LO just as well.

--doug