On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Doug <dmcgarr...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 05/23/2014 08:43 PM, Larry Gusaas wrote:
>
>> On 2014-05-23, 3:43 PM japples wrote:
>>
>>  /snip/
>
>  There is a huge difference between showing non-printing characters and
>> showing formatting codes. Saying AOO shows non-printing characters is
>> similar to WP reveal codes is ridiculous.
>>
>>  Now tell me again how there are no similarities (include examples other
>>> than ones I have given above).  The OO's limited source has been the topic
>>> for requesting to expand.  The ability to edit is there just not in a
>>> separate window as WP.  I don't know if OO has the ability to edit a text
>>> box but someone with more time and energy could respond.
>>>

>> Using reveal non-printing charters in AOO does not show any formatting
>> codes.  The purpose of WP reveal codes is to change the documents
>> formatting (font size and type, bold, italic, underline, superscript, etc).
>>  There is no similarity to AOO.
>>

> I have found the Reveal Codes feature to be most useful in finding oddball
> things that may have come in with an imported file, and to debug minor
> mishaps that are
> not obvious from just looking at the text. One use of Reveal Codes will
> tell you whether a tab or a set of spaces is used in a text. Also, to spot
> double spaces, if you don't
>
> I'm in agreement w Larry. Finding extra/misplaced characters, non-printing
or otherwise, is not at all equivalent to reveal codes. With reveal codes
it is/was possible to literally see where formatting or styles were applied
in a document. It would "reveal" such things as two different formats
applied one after the other to a block of text which would help make
apparent why removing one type of formatting didn't cause the text to be
displayed as expected.

e.g. <format_code1>a whole bunch of text<f_c2><f_c3>some other text.

Remove <f_c3> and "some other text" would now display as <f_c2> not <f_c1>
as would be expected when reveal codes was off. But turn on reveal codes
and it became immediately apparent why the text was not displaying as
expected.