On 08/02/2014 03:11 PM, Randi Moore wrote:
> Hi my name is Randi Moore.  I am an online college student and one of the
> tech requirements is that I have microsoft word 2007 or later version.  Well
> I do NOT want to spend that money to download MS word 2007!  So my question
> is.......if I type a paper in Open Office and then email it to my professor,
> will she be able to open it and it be the same format in her MS Word 2007
> program?  I have to make sure Open Office and MS Word are compatable
> programs.  Please answer ASAP

I have often used OO to send Word documents to others and never had a
problem.  One thing you can do, to check a file, is install the free
Word viewer from Microsoft.  If your file looks OK there, then it should
be fine.  Also, it's better to stick with the old .doc format than use
the new .docx.  The old format has fewer compatibility issues, even
among different Word versions.

Perhaps your instructor should be educated about OpenOffice and also
LibreOffice as alternatives to MS Office.