> 1)  It is quite hard to just 'drop an email to' open office. I don't really
> want to sign up, log it, make an account etc. So there is a huge
> disincentive to provide feedback to open office about stuff that people
> think should be changed.
>
> Assuming open office is trying to satisfy as many people as possible, then
> if we don't like it, open office should change it.
>
> Here's the thing:
> It is very frustrating to simply type part of a line, then go to the next
> line, and type part of a line without open office writer double spacing.
> So:
>
> Want this:
>
> Blah blah blah
> Blah blah blah.
>
> Get this:
>
> Blah blah blah
>
> Blah blah blah.

So just edit your default style then. The distance between paragraphs can
be adjusted in cm or mm or even inches (!) if you like. That's what
settings are for. Different people want different things, so the settings
are there for you to make it behave the way YOU like.

> I can single space partial lines by carriage return without causing double
> space on every app except open office writer;

Well, you can, you just need to know how to…

> it automatically seems to
> double space.

No, it doesn't. It single spaces, but the distance between lines are
different between paragraphs than between line within a paragraph. If you
just want a new line but no new paragraph, do Shift+Enter rather than just
Enter.

> I don't really care why it does this, or how to get around
> it. Just change it, please!

If they did, you would be happy and millions of people would be very angry…
Just edit your settings or use Shift+Enter.

> It is very very frustrating, making it impossible to create a
> professional-looking piece of writing.

Impossible for you maybe, but now when you know how to do it, you can too!
 :D

There are some useful information in the help files too…

> Thanks,
> Steve

 You're welcome.

Johnny Rosenberg