To complete the information that I could get from the original reporter, I
finally asked about refreshing his browser pages.

That did it.

It worked for both Chrome and Internet Explorer.  The Edge browser did not
show the problem because the reporter had not been using it and so there was
no cache to rely on.

It appears that refreshing the browser is not an automatic behavior for some
folks.

I am not certain what sort of remedy there is.  I don't know if there is a
way to obtain caching on the network while not caching in browsers, or
caching for less time in browsers.

Clearing browser caches has undesirable consequences for the user.  I am
also uncertain what can be done at the servers to invalidate upstream caches
when the cache lifetime is too great.

If anyone has knowledge of remedies in this regard, advice on dev@
openoffice.apache.org would be very welcome.

 - Dennis