On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 13:14:43 +0000
Darren Myers <myers_dar...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Can someone please pass this comment on to the relevant incompetent developer
> who created openoffice writer..
>
> It has the a really obvious problem with the program...
>
> IT HAS NO BLOODY  SPELL CHECK!!!!!
>
> Seriously I ask you this, what IDIOT created a doc writer without the most
> fundamental function????
>
> Even when installing 4.1.2 it says its selected , however NO, it just doesn't
> work..
>
> I will be pulling my donations and putting money into Microsoft, where things
> DO work!! albeit I will have to pay.

If you set it up correctly you would find that spellcheck works.  If you are
interested in getting spellcheck to work, this method cures most problems with
an inactive spellcheck.

Delete or rename your OpenOffice user profile. As you are using Windows do this
by:

Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste
%appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar (not the search engine)
and press Enter. Delete or Rename the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

If it's not working, the document language settings may need to be changed. OO
must have access to a spelling dictionary for the language as specified in the
document settings (look in the status bar below the main text area).

This tutorial takes you through all that step by step:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512

If you wish to migrate to MS Word that is your decision.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>