Darren,

OpenOffice has a long, long history. Not as long as you or me or many others
here have been programming. I think you might be surprised at the number of
decades of some of the generous contributors to AOO.

If you have the relevant C++ experience, the source code and build instructions
are available.

Patches welcome!

Regards,
Dave