On Sun, 14 Aug 2016, James Plante wrote:

Or perhaps…
Create new doc.
From styles menu: load styles
From the dialog that results, check the “From file” box.
Select your original file from the dialog that results;
Choose the parameters from the import dialog;
Import.

I wasn't aware of this resource! fact is, I had installed an extension called 'template-changer' for a similar purpose but this 'style import' utility is built-in and seems to work smoothly.

I didn't find anything called 'import' but the 'load styles' dialogue seemed to work; when I looked at the styles list in the new document, I found the styles I had devised in the source document.

great!

Anyway, that’s the way I do it. I don’t like the “Select everything and delete it” option, because I did that once. Screwed up and chose to save the file. It did what I told it, and saved an empty doc over my finished report. Fortunately, I use a Mac with a Time Machine backup, so I didn’t lose it all. But it was--at least momentarily--a heart-stopper.

Jim

definitely a hazard when juggling files.

this was a great help! thank you.

f.

--
Felmon Davis

It'll be a nice world if they ever get it finished.