At 16:17 04/10/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
The numbering system works until I insert pages in front of the body for the title, etc. Then every other page gets numbered, and if the number is odd, page numbering for
the whole document is turned off.

Format | Page... | Header (or Footer) | Same content left/right.

Is this a BUG ...

I doubt it. You haven't said enough about exactly what you are trying to do for anyone to know this.

... in OO 3.3 ...

Why use a legacy version? Is the bug that you have yet to upgrade software from January 2011 which was rendered obsolete in May 2012?

The manual discusses Roman Numeral numbering of the preface, and uses page break insertion options the version I'm using doesn't have.

The 3.3 Writer Guide illustrates (on page 182) that the same options are available in manual page breaks as in current versions (and as in Illustration 20 in the Writer for Students manual). What are you not seeing?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker