On 10/5/2016 3:11 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
The problem is that you don't read the answers given already to you. for example Rory said in one of his many answers :

One can certainly edit a style after it is used.
AND, he also said

The built in styles are usually adequate for all but the most complex
formatting, so I took his advice and was seeking information on how to
use them.

AND, When what I was told to do didn't work, I was trying to clarify
what needed to be done to get the correct style in the right place.

The response I was looking for was a set of instructions on how to
accomplish a simple task, not criticism for failing to master what
a novice user should be able to do in a flash.

I don't want a polished document, just a draft with a title and table of
contents. I know how powerful styles can be, but that doesn't mean is
should be difficult to set up for a simple task.

I would appreciate it, if someone who understands the underlying structure page
numbering in styles would explain how they work at the software level.

Starting with the template.
Does the title page need a different template without page numbering?
If not, what overrides the page number, how is it inserted, and where
does it go?
etc.

jrh