Since you are not subscribed, I have sent you a copy of one reply by Alan B. In this email, I will make my own suggestions.

There user guides which will help you learn how to learn AOO. The Getting Started guide has a chapter on styles. As a beginner, the whole guide is worthwhile downloading and studying. Since your interest is text document editing, I recommend downloading the entire Writer Guide. It will answer many of your present questions as well as make a very useful reference guide.

Dan