> >>Because i haven't tampered with anything since install - I've skipped
> >>those questions - tell me if i should go back.

> >>Nothing odd there is there? But soffice.bin is currently hogging 303MB
> >>of memory
> >>
> >>ideas ? Duncan
> >>

> >Yes one thing you can do is to run top and tell us the VIRT, RES and SHR
> >values that are reported. On my system,
> >$HOME/OpenOffice.1.1.4/program/soffice.bin is just under 400Kb and I
> >would expect memory usage to be similar. For example I get:
> >  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> > 3372 gerry     16   0  292m 155m  51m S  2.3 20.5  35:45.60 soffice.bin
> >and that looks reasonable to me.

 virt is short for virtual memory and that means swap space on the drive.  If
you have lots of real memory then this # can get big like this and its no big
deal.  Note the %MEM entry. this one is more important. also if %CPU gets
higher VIRT generally tend to get higher depending on what is being done as
using virtual memory takes much more processing power than physical (real)
memory.

If you really want to work on the memory use goto tools -> options ->
OpenOffice.org -> memory and pick smaller settings for the cache options.

Rob Winchester

=====
Rob Winchester
Download OpenOffice today!