Donning my nomex underwear here.

Using the 680 download from yesterday, I just composed a cover for a
manual I'm putting together for gEDA and gnucap, and I used the
simulated and gate graphic called geda-logo.xpm from the gEDA package
as a graphic insert in a one page 'text document' along with some
text in various font sizes up to 96. (sometimes we need even more
than 96) I printed it before even saving it using the print icon on
the toolbar.

The colors looked great on screen, but with the printers color model
in spadmin set to anything other than RGB, which is hell on the color
inks to do black, the reds were so dark a brown as to be invisible
without both excellent color vision and really looking closely at the
output knowing where the red patches were supposed to be.  The
yellows were a medium to dark orange/brown, and the blues can only be
seen by their effect on the glossiness of the paper, and the greens,
not much of it in that image, seem to be contaminated with some
black.

In the RGB mode, it finally gave me what I wanted.  Nice bright reds,
yellows, blues and greens in a line art pix on a black background.
At $30+ a whack for color cartridges for this printer, that sucks the
big one.

I normally run this printer, an Epson c82 in the CMYK model, and it
did my christmas cards in that mode flawlessly in OOo-1.1.2 earlier
this fall using jpg images almost direct from my Olympus C3020
camera.

Seriously, this needs to be fixed before 2.0 final is out.

My suggestion for a fix is to hand it off completely to the recent
gimp-print stuff, in my case its gutenprint-5.0beta2, not quite the
latest, but it drives my epson c82 flawlessly.  Reinventing this
wheel draws too much blood IMO.

Also, I was going to file a bug, but somebody seems to have gotten
plumb fscking paranoid, and although I registered this beta copy I
think, I didn't note if any traffic went out on the routers leds at
the time), that DIDN'T get me a username/password that I could log
into, required before I could file a bug report.  Thats bullshit,
fresh, warm and usually found behind the male of the bovine species.

Seriously speaking to Sun, if you want bug reports, let us file the
$onofabitch without all this username/password bull$hit.  My guess is
that 99% of the folks who would file bug reports are dissed at that
screen and give it up.

For a 'so-called' open source project (some call it open sores), where
we do the beta testing for the next StarOffice, you are seriously
taking aim very carefully so as not to miss when you shoot yourself
in the foot.  I hope it feels good.

Am I pi$$ed? Yes, because I can see the mechanism by which you prevent
bug reports from being filed, so they never get fixed if not filed,
right?  Less work for the coders you are paying by the hour is the
rational no doubt.  And its 350% intentional, and thats what really
fries me.  Rules written by the lawyers to justify their salary.
They should be in the unemployment line.

Sun still does not 'get' the open source model.  Look at the license
for Solaris now.  I'm curious, and I'd really like to see how it runs
here, but sorry, no sale after reading that license.  I wonder if
they ever will 'get it'?

What do you want to bet that this message never makes the list?
Nothing, cause it won't pass as a moderated list.  BUT I damned sure
hope it makes it to the second floor where somebody who gives a red
cent might care.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)