On Wednesday 23 March 2005 16:12, Tamblyne wrote:
> The current system, unfortunately, is all we've been able to come up
> with in light of the limitations of the list.  The list archives are
> chock full of endless discussions on how to solve the problem, as this
> seems to come up every six months or so.  By far one of the best "work
> arounds", though not a total solution, is the auto-response sent to
> unsubscribed posters.  Unless things have changed (and I doubt this is
> so), and you might not know this -- that autoresponse is NOT generated
> by the list manager.  Enterprising individuals took it upon themselves
> to implement it -- I don't know who the original person was to set it
> up.  Last I knew CPH was doing it? ( Hi, Con! )  :-)
Hi Tam,
 Yes, I'm still doing it and setting the "Reply-to:" field to
users@openoffice.org :)

> > Can I suggest the following (I don't know if this technically possible):
> >
> > 1. Make a list archive that is visible to everybody that has some kind of
> > threaded view.
> >
> > 2. When somebody posts a question and is not subscribed, he gets an
> > automatic reply (as it is now) with says the following
> > "Please note that you are not subscribed to the list and therefore may
> > not receive all answers. You can see your post and all replies in the
> > list archive under
> > http://url.to.the.archive/correct.thread
> > Please also check this URL for any replies."
> >
> > (The URL should somehow be generated automatically to link exactly to the
> > correct thread).
> >
> > That way
> > - nobody has to look out if the OP is subscribed or not when replying
> > - nobody has to resend messages
> > - the OP can be sure to have access to all replies.
> >
> > And everybody is happy.
> >
> > Can this be done?
>
> Great idea -- but it isn't only a matter of *can* it be done, but also
> *will* it be done -- doubtful on both points.
If Stephan knows how to do it I will add it to my auto-response.

> As it stands now, and for the forseeable future, it's pretty much just
> up to the list members to decide how they want to handle unsubscribed
> posters.  Some have set up some kind of filter to "flag" these messages
> so they know to cc.  Other's don't know how, or it's difficult for them
> with the software they're using. And some have just put their foot down
> and flatly stated that if they won't make the effort to subscribe to the
> list, why should I waste my time cc'ing them?
>
> It would certainly be nice if these things could be, or more
> approriately WOULD be, handled internally, but alas, that's not going to
> happen.
>
> It has always been a disappointment to me that of all the OOo resources,
>   the least appreciated and nurtured are the time and dedication of the
> project "customer service department".
Agreed, unfortuneately we are frequently treated as a "normal" paid-for
support service and sometimes it feels as if the infrastructure available to
is is no better too.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ