hi kathryn

1. to create new documents as A4, you can do one of the following:
a) go to Tools - Settings - Locale and set the locale to something other
than en_US (which uses Letter as default, if i'm not mistaking) or
whatever you're using. but this might also influence some other behaviour.
b) open a new file, go to Format - Page, on Page tab select A4 as Format
and click OK. then (do not change anything else in the document!) go to
File - Templates - Save and name the file DefaultA4. save it with OK. then
go to File - Templates again and select Organize. in the dialog, find
DefaultA4 template and click on Commands button. when it opens a drop-down
list, select the 'Use this one as default' command. click OK again. and
close OpenOffice. when you open it again and select a new text document,
it should open an empty A4 page.

2. the spellchecker will work if you have the following: you must have set
up the correct language for your documents. if you're writing your
documents in german, the english spellchecker will not work :) so: go to
Tools - Options - Language settings and check what you have for Western
and for Locale. select the langauge you are using. if you see a blue
checkmark next to its name, this means that the spellchecker for it is
installed. now, in a new document, also check which language the Default
paragraph style is using: open Stylist (F11), right-click on Default and
select Modify. under the Font tab you should find the list of languages.
make sure it is the one you need.

urska

urska