On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 21:43, mike moller  wrote:

> Sadly for my purposes I have concluded that OOBase isn't quite ready for
> prime time yet so I've gone back to the MS product for the present.

Much as I despise Base, I would disagree with the idea that it is not
ready for prime time.

What MS Access, when included with MSO offers, is a user experience
that is very nlike, and different from that of the typical database
engine.  What is missing from OOo, and most other database engines, is
a single tool that provides a user experience akin to that provided by
MS Access.

>b) also in a more subtle way by being directed by consensus among a
>technically focused group (from those willing resources) as to what items
>should get priority.

The direction is more likely to come from Sun, than from consensus.
(Disclaimer, I am more convinced than ever, that including SQLite,
rather than Base, would have been the all round better choice.)

>hence for example the disastrous (from a typical Access user's point of view)
>absence of the DoCmd or its like.

That type of database manipulation is expected to be done by using a
programming language like Java, or Python.

d) That I believe carries through to low volumes of postings on the
OOBase specific discussion forums and
e) similarly it limits even more severely the size of the "coalition
of the willing" who work at developing OOBase.

To an extent, that is true.

I think the bigger issue is that to use Base in the same way that
Access is used, one literally needs to write a program in Java, PERL,
Python, or similar language.

Henrik wrote:

> Can Microsoft Access .mdb files be easily imported into Open Office and
> relatively used in the way the Access database creator intended?

As MS Access files, no.
As SQLite, or Base files: Not without the end user writing a lot of code.

About the best that OOo can do, is enable the  user to view the files.

xan

jonathon