On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:16:04 -0700
jonathon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> > Can Microsoft Access .mdb files be easily imported into Open Office and
> > relatively used in the way the Access database creator intended?
>
> As MS Access files, no.
> As SQLite, or Base files: Not without the end user writing a lot of code.
>
> About the best that OOo can do, is enable the  user to view the files.

I use OOo 2.4 on Ubuntu x86_64. I successfully use OOo Base with my
data which was originally in Access 2000 format.

I discovered that OOo Base cannot read or import Access databases.
However, I also discovered that Kexi can do so. Kexi uses SQLite as its
database engine. I successfully got my tables into Kexi, although the
queries, forms and such failed to transfer. I didn't have many queries
and forms so that didn't bother me - I figured I'd just recreate them.
But the best part is that OOo Base was able to connect to the Kexi data.

Having said all of that, there are problems with Kexi. It does not yet
implement all the features of SQLite, so there are limitations.
Eventually I used OOo Base to transfer the tables from Kexi to real OOo
Base tables. And then I recreated my queries and forms in OOo Base.

The only part that I dislike is that OOo Base is slower than the second
coming, particularly with respect to screen rewrite. I suspect that is
due to the fact that it is written in Java in order to be
cross-platform. But I don't know much about programming, so take that
comment with a grain of salt.

I just wanted to point out that you *can* get your data from Access
into Base.