On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:10:48 +0100
Came this utterance fomulated by Harold Fuchs to my mailbox:

> On 13/09/2008 19:47, jonathon wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > One of the major issues with the password scheme that OOo uses, is
> > that if one forgets the password, it probably will be cheaper and
> > faster to recreate the document from scratch, than pay to have the
> > password recovered.
> > (Basically, if OOo Pasword Cracker
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=87718&package_id=173080
> > doesn't recover the password within one month, the odds are that it
> > will years to recover the password.)
> >

> And why exactly is this "a major issue"? Or even a minor one? IMHO it
> would be more of an issue if a cracker could guess the password in a
> short time. The idea of passwords is to *prevent* access to data.
> Either don't use them or don't forget them. Or use a secure password
> manager.

I agree with Harold here. The password is meant to be safe, ideally
totally uncrackable. But we do not live in a perfect world alas. I also
therefore agree with Jonathon that it will usually be cheaper to rewrite
the document from scratch.

Or try one of these:
http://www.google.com/search?q=top+ten+passwords+used

Some more alternatives before the fact:

On your local "password protected computer login" have two copies. One
for your own use without password, one to provide to others where a
password is required.
For the above - ensure it is a windows computer in case you forget
your login password as well. That password won't take a month to bypass.
For that matter a linux login password wont take a month to bypass
either.

One last alternative, this depends on why the file was password
protected in the first instance. OP could export the original file as a
PDF instead. This doesn't protect the data in that it is readable by
anyone but it cannot be readily modified by just anyone.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416