Harold Fuchs wrote:
2008/10/7 mike scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>

He's back, I see.
He certainly seems to have a major problem, in getting unwanted mails
not just from this list. If someone has taken /real/ umbrage, and
rigged a forwarding account that filters unsubscription request
emails, he's stymied.  Although his real ire should be directed at
gmail for not fixing the problem, methinks: that seems to be the
common point from what he's written.

<snip>

Er. Please, how could Google fix this problem? One has never needed
permission to forward e-mail. As far as I know there's no such facility in
the protocols. Are you saying Google should abolish its Autoforward feature?
I think you'd hear howls of protest if you suggested that. And even if
Google wrote special software, one could just use Outlook Express or
Thunderbird (or, presumably, any other mail client) to do it. Both those
programs let you set up a rule/filter that does autoforward. For example, I
can arrange in Outlook Express to forward to you any message that comes in
to me addressed to "users@openoffice.org". And there's nothing you can do
about that. You may be able to *cure* it by unsubscribing me but you can't
*prevent* it happening in the first place.

While we are on this, what is the procedure for unsubscribing the attacker?
Does the victim have to masquerade as the attacker by setting up a special
account in his/her mail system? Or can it be done using ezmlm's proceudre as
explained in its Help?

I have taken the opportnuity to raise this matter with a Gmail discussion board and say that to forward e-mail from one gmail account to another e-mail account without confirmation from the recipient is open to misuse. I will see what responses I get over the next few days.

Rob