On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:10:12 +0200, Johnny Andersson wrote:

>GregChi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev den Fri, 20 May 2005 15:46:01 -0400:
>
>> In a check register I want a formula  in cell A1 to show the last
>> value in the column(D?) that is the current balance. As more data is
>> entered this last item will be shifted down. Until data is entered the
>> cell is empty.
>> Is there a function/formula for this?
>
>I have two ideas:
>
>1. This will only work if there are no empty rows between those rows with
>data.
>Enter the following to A1:
>=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COUNTA(D1:D32000);4))
>
>If, for example, the first non empty cell in column D is D2, just modify
>the formula as follows:
>=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(COUNTA(D1:D32000)+1;4))
>COUNTA(D1:D32000)+1 represent the last used row in this case.
>4 represents column D, of course.
>
>2. This will work in all cases I can think of right now, but I guess it
>will work slower and the file size will be larger:
>Insert a new E column (which you can hide later). Enter the following into
>E2, if D2 is the first cell containing relevant data:
>=IF(D3="";D2;0)
>Copy this as far down as you think is necessary. For example, E1000 should
>contain =IF(D1001="";D1000;0) and so on...
>Enter the following in A1:
>=SUM(E1:E32000)
>If your D column ONLY contains POSITIVE values, =MAX(E1:E32000) also will
>work, but why try that when SUM works in all cases?
>Now, hide your E column and it will look nicer.
>
>If method 1 works for you, I guess that's the one to use. Use method two
>ONLY if method 1 for some reason can't be used, like if there are empty
>cells here and there in column D.
>
>I can also think of a third solution to this problem: Writing a new cell
>function in StarBasic and use it in A1.

Thanks, I mis-stated..
I have a formula in All cells in column D.
The ones that have a result are visable. Your method(1) gets the last
formula entered but not the last result (sorry abt that...)

--
  Greg   Agent 1.93/32.576  Opera 7.50 3778  OOo 1.1.2
news.individual.net & news.gmane.org      Win98se