NoOp wrote:
On 11/28/2008 05:15 PM, Mike wrote:

NoOp wrote:
On 11/28/2008 12:24 AM, Michael Adams wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:25:21 -0800 (PST)
Came this utterance fomulated by Bob Cunningham to my mailbox:

Could you PLEASE send me instructions on how to uninstall this
absolutely useless program that screws up my computer. Thank You. Send the instructions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<snip>

*** Not sent to OP ;-)

*Please* do not post commands potentially destructive commands like
this, even as a joke. If you've followed this list for any length of
time (even a week or two) you will see that the list get queries from
very inexperienced computer users. One may come across your 'advise' and
actually try it... Posting such on some lists/forums can/will get you
immediately banned from the list/forum.

That "advice" will get rid of the absolutely useless program that screws up
computers.  Unfortunately it will delete OpenOffice.org and other useful
programs too.

- --
Mike

And that 'advise' should cause an automatic ban/unsubscribe of users who
post such 'advise'.

I was thinking of what the moderators at the web forum would do with that post - I'm reasonably certain it would go as follows:

a) move it to the quarantine area so that all the other moderators can see the post and who made it. Which also hides it from standard users and from search engine bots, then purges it after 7 days.

b) Issue a waring to the user that this is not acceptable and a second such post will result in being banned, for some period of time.

The big difference here is that on a web forum the post can be removed - in a mailing list such as this however that is not really an option as this 'little joke' is going to be archived all over the net...and yes there are people just naive enough to do it. So even though you did not send it to the OP, you really have no idea who will actually see it.