At 08:02 05/12/2008 -0800, Elchanan Noname wrote:
We are writing a book with portrait orientation. We wish to include, on selected pages, full-page tables in landscape orientation. We wish for the headers. footers, and pagination on these pages to retain its "normal" portrait orientation.

We know how to work with headers and footers in general, and we know how to create a pair of left/right landscape page styles, in and of themselves. What we do not yet know is how to create the landscape page style AND retain or superimpose the portrait orientation in the headers/footers.

I don't think that you can do this - at least, not in the way that you suggest. The position of the header and footer appears - not surprisingly - to depend directly on the page orientation. So if you give selected pages the landscape orientation, you will necessarily move the header and footer in a way that you don't want.

The solution, then, starts with keeping all your pages with portrait orientation. You then need to present your information in a landscape table, and this should be easy. Create a table with the numbers of rows and columns exchanged from what you actually need. Insert the material into the table cells. Select the text and go to Format | Character... | Position | Rotation / scaling (or right-click | Character... | Position | Rotation / scaling), and select an appropriate value - probably 90 degrees. Your material will then appear in landscape orientation even though Writer sees the page as in portrait orientation.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker