From: Brian Barker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 1:45 AM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [users] WRITER: Search for [...] Invisible Characters, ...

At 08:29 06/12/2008 -0800, Elchanan Noname wrote:
>We are exploring the search (ctrl-f) function in Writer. We see how to
>search for many things, but not yet for [...] invisible characters (end
>of paragraph and the like), ...

It's perhaps worth mentioning that there is no such character as
end-of-paragraph, invisible or otherwise.  Instead, one paragraph ends and
another begins at the same place.  The pilcrow you see when you select
Nonprinting Characters is merely there as a visual indication of the
paragraph break.  (I suppose the way that you can insert or delete extra
paragraph breaks makes it a character of sorts, though.)  But the way you
have to handle paragraph breaks in OpenOffice is not to search for the break
itself but (using regular
expressions) to anchor the material you are searching for to the start or
end of a paragraph, using the ^ and $ symbols; \n is also useful.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker
Thank you, Brian, for you (as always) erudite explanation. I do comprehend
it. I hope that some in developer land may someday comprehend that the
solution you describe is not useful for most users. Other products provide
searching for para ends and other "special characters". But I am realizing
that Open Office is tied to MS Office to an extent that a great myopia
exists, all the way down at the paradigm level.

Just a portion of my present impression, nothing more.

Best to all,
Elchanan

Best,
Elchanan