On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:32:56 -0800
NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net> dijo:

> On 12/17/2008 12:33 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > I'm about to give up.
> [snip]
> >
> > Note that this is an additional install of 3.0. It is not an upgrade
> > replacing 2.4.1. OOo 2.4.1 is still installed, and I dare not uninstall
> > it considering the instability and bugs in 3.0.
> >
> > I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
>
> Note:
> <quote>
> This guide shows how you can install the new OpenOffice 3.0.0 office
> suite on your Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. Your current OpenOffice installation
> will not be removed unless you uninstall it with Synaptic or on the
> command line, so you can run both versions in parallel if you like.
> </quote>
>
> Don't uninstall 2.4.1. After "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" skip directly to
> "2 Creating A Launcher". The instructions before that are only if you
> have uninstalled (U)OOo.
>
> Note that there are 2 pages of instructions.

Those are the instructions I followed in order to install OOo 3.0,
leaving 2.4.1 installed as well. The dpkg command executed without
error, except that no launch entries were created. But those were easy
to create manually.

I think some of my problems are due to the fact that I have been
launching Writer directly without launching the splash screen first.

Other problems may be due to the fact that you cannot install the Gnome
desktop integration package unless you uninstall 2.4.1.

Lately I have been starting it with the splash screen first, then
Writer, but it still crashes hourly. When I restart it sometimes it
cannot even recover the document. That is, if I tell it to recover the
document it just crashes trying to recover it.

I'm beginning to see why Ubuntu creates an Ubuntuized version before
they put it in the repositories.