On 12/17/2008 12:29 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:32:56 -0800
> NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net> dijo:
>
>> On 12/17/2008 12:33 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> > I'm about to give up.
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > Note that this is an additional install of 3.0. It is not an upgrade
>> > replacing 2.4.1. OOo 2.4.1 is still installed, and I dare not uninstall
>> > it considering the instability and bugs in 3.0.
>> >
>> > I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
>>
>> Note:
>> <quote>
>> This guide shows how you can install the new OpenOffice 3.0.0 office
>> suite on your Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. Your current OpenOffice installation
>> will not be removed unless you uninstall it with Synaptic or on the
>> command line, so you can run both versions in parallel if you like.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Don't uninstall 2.4.1. After "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" skip directly to
>> "2 Creating A Launcher". The instructions before that are only if you
>> have uninstalled (U)OOo.
>>
>> Note that there are 2 pages of instructions.
>
> Those are the instructions I followed in order to install OOo 3.0,
> leaving 2.4.1 installed as well. The dpkg command executed without
> error, except that no launch entries were created. But those were easy
> to create manually.
>
> I think some of my problems are due to the fact that I have been
> launching Writer directly without launching the splash screen first.
>
> Other problems may be due to the fact that you cannot install the Gnome
> desktop integration package unless you uninstall 2.4.1.
>
> Lately I have been starting it with the splash screen first, then
> Writer, but it still crashes hourly. When I restart it sometimes it
> cannot even recover the document. That is, if I tell it to recover the
> document it just crashes trying to recover it.
>
> I'm beginning to see why Ubuntu creates an Ubuntuized version before
> they put it in the repositories.

I've not had a single crash w/3.0 or 3.0.1(dev)... yet, once I
reinstalled with a clean /opt. I _did_ experience crashes and other odd
bits when I first installed and failed to completely remove/purge my old
/opt dev installs. Perhaps I've been lucky as I have the following
installed on this machine (32bit Hardy) and they all work pretty well
for me so far:

(Ubuntu)OOo 2.4.1
OOo 2.4.2
OOo 3.0