Has anyone read anything about the following or have
experience?

I have not looked into this lately but what is the word about MS's
attempts with their Open Formats going to ISO standards?

I know that there was a lot of flack over the voting to start the
ISO process and the "in the know" people said the MS would
not likely support the "final" ISO version of their own proposed
open document standard.  Then there was some flack about
needing documentation about backward compatibility to older
file formats that MS does not want to give up.

So, is MS's baby of a world wide open format standard a dead cause?

Also, it has been a while since I looked at and downloaded Sun's
ODF "filters" for MS Office.  How well does it really work and
where can I send the hard nose MS users to get it.  I know it
would be easier and better if they just used OOo, but there are
people. . . .

I found when I first came across Sun's ODF filter, it was better to
just open/save the MS .doc file in OOo then having MS Word
use the filter system. How is the filter  now, and where is  it to
be found (easily)?

In my opinion, I would prefer MS users to go to OOo than
use the system Sun has.  But "some" hard nose people will not
even look at free software claiming if it is free, then it cannot be
good.  Their attitude is the more you pay for a product the better
it must be.  Laugh, Laugh.  So I just want to have options.

New York State is moving towards open file formats for inter-agency
documents and those the public will have access to.  Not like
the Library of Congress, that went and started using Office 2007
formats to store public documents.  It was just as bad as them
changing the file format of their highly compressed large format
images.  Half the time they were unreadable by my software that
supported that JPEG2000 format.  The same goes with their use
of .docx format.  The public would need Office 2007 to access
public documents.   MS had a hand in that, I suppose.

So, any one have any news on MS's attempt to give the world
a "better" open file formats? Or, how about the Sun ODF filter?
How well does it work, now?

Tim L.
retired and tired of MS.

7:21 PM