On 12/19/2008 01:17 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> 2008/12/19 NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
>
>> On 12/19/2008 12:39 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>

>> > One thing that I find is, if I enter:
>> >
>> > =SUM($A$1:A1)
>> >
>> > in the B1 cell it works just fine (I just copied & pasted from your
>> > post). However, if I enter the same in the input bar, the data in the
>> > cell becomes text: =SUM($A$1:A1). But if I first click the = icon
>> > (function icon) on the input bar and then past: SUM($A$1:A1) if works
>> > properly. Can you no longer just enter '=' followed by a function in the
>> > input bar?
>>
>> Disregard this last... I must have copied an extra space before
>> =SUM($A$1:A1).
>
> One thing that I always disliked about OpenOffice.org, somewhat related to
> this, is the following:
> Sometimes I forgot the "=" character when entering formulas. If I did that
> in Excel, I could just click the "=" icon, and an "=" was added right before
> my formula. For example, if A1 contains 2+2 and I then hit the "=" icon, A1
> would contain =2+2. That doesn't happen with OpenOffice.org, unfortunately.
> J.R.

Hmmm... I just checked in MS Excel 2002 SP3 and it behaves the same as
OOo with the exception of also providing a dropdown box for various
formulae. However, MS Excel 97 does do what you wish... so I reckon that
you'd have to go back quite aways to get that function back :-) Those
are the only two versions of Excel that I have, so others might have
different results.