2008/12/20 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com>

> 2008/12/19 NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>

>> the

>> > One thing that I always disliked about OpenOffice.org, somewhat related
>> > this, is the following:
>> > Sometimes I forgot the "=" character when entering formulas. If I did
>> that
>> > in Excel, I could just click the "=" icon, and an "=" was added right
>> before
>> > my formula. For example, if A1 contains 2+2 and I then hit the "=" icon,
>> A1
>> > would contain =2+2. That doesn't happen with OpenOffice.org,
>> unfortunately.
>> > J.R.
>>
>> Hmmm... I just checked in MS Excel 2002 SP3 and it behaves the same as
>> OOo with the exception of also providing a dropdown box for various
>> formulae. However, MS Excel 97 does do what you wish... so I reckon that
>> you'd have to go back quite aways to get that function back :-) Those
>> are the only two versions of Excel that I have, so others might have
>> different results.
>
> That makes sense. When I bought my first computer in 1998, MS Office was
> pre-installed. After a couple of years I switched to OpenOffice.org 1.0.3.
> But the two questions are:
> Should I start a separate thread about this
> What do you guys think should happen if you click the "=" icon if some text
> already is in the current cell? I'd prefer a "=" to be inserted before the
> text rather than a "=" is replacing the previous text, but that's me.
> J.R.

Maybe ther could be a compromise: When the "=" icon is clicked, Calc could
check if there is any text in the current cell. If there is, it could check
if it is a valid formula missing an "=" character. If so, insert the "=" at
the beginnng of the text. If not, just replace the current text by the "=".
That wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it? Maybe not too important,
though…
J.R.