2008/12/19 NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>

> On 12/19/2008 01:17 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> the
> >>
> >> Disregard this last... I must have copied an extra space before
> >> =SUM($A$1:A1).
> >
> > One thing that I always disliked about OpenOffice.org, somewhat related
> > this, is the following:
> > Sometimes I forgot the "=" character when entering formulas. If I did
> that
> > in Excel, I could just click the "=" icon, and an "=" was added right
> before
> > my formula. For example, if A1 contains 2+2 and I then hit the "=" icon,
> A1
> > would contain =2+2. That doesn't happen with OpenOffice.org,
> unfortunately.
> > J.R.
>
> Hmmm... I just checked in MS Excel 2002 SP3 and it behaves the same as
> OOo with the exception of also providing a dropdown box for various
> formulae. However, MS Excel 97 does do what you wish... so I reckon that
> you'd have to go back quite aways to get that function back :-) Those
> are the only two versions of Excel that I have, so others might have
> different results.

That makes sense. When I bought my first computer in 1998, MS Office was
pre-installed. After a couple of years I switched to OpenOffice.org 1.0.3.
But the two questions are:
Should I start a separate thread about this
What do you guys think should happen if you click the "=" icon if some text
already is in the current cell? I'd prefer a "=" to be inserted before the
text rather than a "=" is replacing the previous text, but that's me.
J.R.