Keith Bates wrote:
On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 14:17 -0800, David Karr wrote:

I have a jpeg of a photo that is a little too large. I loaded it in Impress
and resized it smaller, keeping the ratio the same. I then saved the
resulting image to a new file. When I view the old and new images, they are
identical. The "smaller" image is not smaller. Am I missing something?

Impress is not an image manipulation program. When you change the size
of the image in Impress you don't actually change the content of the
file asll you are doing is changing the way the image appears on the
page.

I just had a look at Draw and it doesn't seem to have any facility for
changing the size of image files either... but I don't use either
Impress or Draw that often so I could be wrong on both of these.

I don't know what OS you are using, but in more recent file managers
there is often a feature to rescale images. Use your file manager to
find the jpeg then right click on it and see if it has an option such as
"Rescale image"

Otherwise use photo software such as GIMP, Photo Shop or the software
that came with your camera.

Hope that helps

Yes you need to use the right software to do the job. I would not tell a person to use GIMP. GIMP has a learning Curve. A "guy" took GIMP and made it easier to use.
He them called it GIMPshop.  It bascally GIMP but has a better GUI so it is
easier to use.  It used all of the GIMP filters and add-ons.

I have Photoshop, for some of my work, and I only use it when I have to.

I do not know about you, but many people seems to not install the
software that comes with their camera.  The just do not use the computer
to edit their photos.  They just take the photos and take the Memory Card
to the photo printing place. I do not use the camera software, since it does
not work well at all.

Here are the links to some of the better free image editors.

GIMPshop
http://www.gimpshop.com/

Paint.NET
http://www.getpaint.net/

Photoscape
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

Artweaver
http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

Tim L.
Took over 4,700 digital photo since Sept 2005 and my camera
software does not work on XP at all, and on Vista very badly.
How many ( SD ) memory cards do you have for your camera(s)?

11:23 AM