I asked about this on the OpenOffice forum, but got exactly zero response.

I've also realized that providing the multiple page/sheet feature this way
is almost useless. I tried to do this in a 60 page document, not what anyone
would consider a huge document, and selecting "Page Preview" brought up a
progress bar that moved steadily for a few seconds and then froze, never
completing.  I tried letting this run for a few minutes (taking 50-60 % cpu
the whole time) and finally killed it. I tried this a few times with the
same result.  I have no trouble printing pages this size from Firefox.